So I gave up caffeine and coffee a while ago... then today in the commissary I saw it: a coupon and a sale price on Orange Cappuccino Instant coffee. I had to get it. So I gave up my ritualistic large bag of dark chocolate M&Ms and went for it. (Yes, they melt in your mouth and not in your car... so that's what I've become addicted to. It's terrible, I know.) Anyway, I couldn't resist a nice hot cup in my favorite heart mug (thanks A), so I popped one in our new micro and voila! steaming cup of joe in an instant. Then it was time to put the kids to bed and so I sat it on the table, only to return to a room temperature cup of joe, which tasted good nonetheless. What I didn't realize until I lied in my bed with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head (scratch that... pickled plums is more like it here in JP)... is that caffeine really does have some effect on me now a days and so here I sit in my bathroom typing away. Did you know that just sitting on a closed toilet will make you have to go pee? Interesting...
SOOO ANY WAYS... today we went shopping for more junk. We are in desperate need of storage here. The apartment isn't THAT small... maybe 1200sqft... but we only have a fraction of our stuff, right? Should make sense... but it doesn't. There are only 3 closets here. 3. Seriously. That's it. No linen closet. No coat closet. No bathroom closet. Aren't I spoiled? So now I'm trying to figure out where to put all of our CRAP!! So many things I should have left behind! So far, we have moved the kids toys to under their bed, put all of the shoes in over-the-door racks, and stuffed all of the clothes they aren't wearing currently into garbage bags and in the top of their closet. No, not pretty, but, hey, it works. We also bought our first set of bedroom furniture. Yup- married over 9 years and our bedroom looks worse than a college dorm. No furniture what-so-ever. We have a mattress and a rug that doesn't even match our bedding, which is the same set we've had since we first met, a box that I sit my water on each night and Daddy uses the window sil as a night stand. Seriously. I'm not even exaggerating. In our last house, we used my night stand and dresser that my parents bought me when I was 9.
We deserve some furniture, no?
Last night, we figured we'd try out a local restaurant that we'd been eyeballing for weeks. We walked up a shell-lined sidewalk into a dim-lit restaurant with dried fish, shells, and glass buoys hanging from the ceiling. The waitress greeted us at the door and led us to our table, where we took off our shoes and climbed onto the tatami mats and sat at our foot-high table. We got some strange looks as we walked in. I'm pretty sure not too many Americans frequent that place. Anyway, we ordered raw octopus, fried squid, fried fish, and tempura shrimp with rice, soup, octopus salad, and tempura veggies. Daddy loved the food and the kids had a good time sticking the octopus tentacles to things. About 10 minutes into it, we had a family sit at the table behind us with 3 kids. They immedately began to talk to Mel, because, hey, who wouldn't want to. Then they whipped out a video camera and began to video tape us eating our dinner (which was a bit odd, but I honestly don't think they'd ever spoken to Americans before!). At the end of dinner, the kids were all playing and laughing and trying to communicate and we took pics of the kids together. (Will post later.)
Ok, so that's it for now. My rear end is completely stuck to the toilet lid. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a minute to post some pics. I'm so sorry that I can't send everyone individual emails, but I hope you all can sort-of understand. The internet guy said that it would be another 2-4 weeks until we have internet installed. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment