Saturday, November 03, 2007

A Heated Subject

If you don't want to read this, I won't be offended. It's something that I have been battling in my own personal life, and wanted to share my so-called semi-resolution with all of you.
Since moving here, I have been more aware to all of the beggars and "homeless" people. And, we are Christians, so we feel impelled to give to them. I have also, however, been more skeptical here than ever before. This is because about 98% of the "homeless" here aren't homeless at all. They live in homes with cars and heaters and food. They get their bicycles out of the bushes when rush hour is over and ride home with their pockets full of money that unsuspecting hard working people donate to them thinking they're sleeping under the bridge or at a shelter. How do I know these things, you ask? Because I ask. I ask the beggar when I give them my husband's hard-earned money "where do you live?" or "why don't you have a job?" And each time they reply with "I live at (insert street address here)" or "I help take care of my sick grandmother and so I can't get a job because I have a weird schedule" or some lie they've conjured up. One beggar appriached my husband in the Costco parking lot saying her father had died and she needed to get to a major city that is just 30 minutes from where we live but didn't have any money for gas... then she imediately walked up to our friends who were in the next store over and told them that she's blown her steering column and her daughter was in the car and she needed money to get it fixed. My hubby got upset with me that I didn't want to fork over a $5 and gave her $3 instead. She was way too cool for a woman who'd just lost her father... and... why would you be in the costco parking lot asking for money anyway? She had on nice clothes, a leather purse, and a cell phone in her hand. Obviously she had some money. Anyway, I have been very skeptical when giving to beggars around here, because that is what they are by profession. Not homeless, not sick, not needy. Just too damn lazy to go out and get a job. This one girl even holds a sign that says she's a single mother of a 9 month old... yet where's her son? She must have a baby sitter! I mean, really, these people are ridiculous... yet they earn their pretty pennies by begging. Some hold signs that read "Struggling family of 3" (this one, I drove past her corner 2 days in a row and the second day she'd upped her family to 5) "it's my birthday" "just plain broke" and "need some money". My cousin even saw some beggars trading posts. One came up to the corner, handed off his sign, and the other beggar took his place. I've seen beggars with "paralyzed on entire right side" holding their signs with their right hands. Anyway, you get my drift. Last week while I was at the local dollar store, I picked up a job application for the "young single mother" who kindly gave me her address one day. I'm mailing it to her addressed to "The Young Single Mother Who Lives At" so-and-so address along with a dollar and the following letter, of which I have made copies of to give to future beggars.

I pray for you: That you would come to know Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, and that you would find a way to earn money for your family honestly. Here is some insight from His Word. May God unveil His truth to you.

Possess the Right Riches:

God cares for us by providing everything we need. Our needs include food, clothing, and shelter. We can trust Him to provide for us. Jesus taught in a clear way that God’s creation does not worry about these basic necessities, and we should not worry about them (Matt 6:25-34). If God takes care of the plants and animals he will certainly take care of us.

God provides work for people to earn money for these necessities. If you are a child, someone else earns money to take care of you. People who cannot work at all, or who are not working temporarily, can get help from family members, government programs or church ministries.
Everything you have is a gift from God. Whether you have a lot or have a little, everything is from Him. God expects your family to generously, cheerfully give to the work of the church and the care of His people (
2 Cor 9:7-12). He expects you to earn your money honestly, spend it wisely, share it generously, and think about it properly. Your money is a tool for honoring God, and should not be worshiped in place of God. It is He, and not your money, who takes care of you.

Read with Me:

He who trusts in his riches will fall,But the righteous will flourish like foliage. Prov 11:28

There is one who makes himself rich, yet has nothing;And one who makes himself poor, yet has great riches. Prov 13:7

Wealth gained by dishonesty will be diminished,But he who gathers by labor will increase. Prov 13:11

Work Diligently:

Many people in our world today are looking for the easiest possible lifestyle. It is considered desirable to do as little work as one can get by with, and then play, play, play. Everyone needs playtime. It is a good part of life. However, too much play can cross over to sin if personal responsibilities are not met. Work is a way we participate in life with others. We do our share to make the world a better place. A person may work to make money to provide shelter, clothing, and food for his or her family. Some adults work at home to take care of children or parents. Some people have enough money and work for no pay as a volunteer in order to serve others. A child’s work is to go to school, do homework, and share some responsibility at home. Sound familiar?

The Book of Proverbs has a lot to say about the importance of working well in order to have a full life. A lazy person may think he has a good life, but he does not. He hurts himself and others. His life is out of balance. He does not honor God. We need to balance play and work. They are both gifts from God (Eccl 5:19, 1 Tim 6:17).

Read with Me:

As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes,So is the lazy man to those who send him. Prov 10:26

The hand of the diligent will rule,But the lazy man will be put to forced labor. Prov 12:24

Commit your works to the LORD,And your thoughts will be established. Prov 16:3

The person who labors, labors for himself,For his hungry mouth drives him on. Prov 16:26

He who is slothful in his work Is a brother to him who is a great destroyer. Prov 18:9

Laziness casts one into a deep sleep,And an idle person will suffer hunger. Prov 19:15

Do not love sleep, lest you come to poverty;Open your eyes, and you will be satisfied with bread. Prov 20:13

The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty,But those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty. Prov 21:5

~www.bible.org

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That "xx happened and I need money for gas to get to yy" is a really common scam in the NW. Haven't run into it much out here.

You guys have good hearts, and it's hard not to help everybody who claims to need it. But, for whatever reason, out in the NW there are a lot of people who have discovered this is an easy way to make a living. Very sad, because it turns good people off to helping those who really do need it. :(