Thursday, July 09, 2009

Today I signed up the kids for school. Can Mel really be almost 4!? And how did I not even realize that before? Where did the last 4 years go? Craziness. The decision, for Daddy, was easy to send them to a private school, but a little harder for me. My friend's kids go to an on base school. They're smart. They go. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? And there's a bus. Which is convenient. So what if they have magic shows and don't know that four leaf clovers really exist. So I'll have to set the kids straight a little more at home and give them a firm base to grow from. But, alas, the kids are going to private school. The kindergartners are learning their multiplication tables and the 3 year olds know how to read and write. That's good. I remember reading at 4, sitting at the bus stop waiting for my big sister to come home from kindergarten on the bus. I read the Jungle Book. By myself. Kids now a days can't read til they're 5 at least, some not til they're 6. And tie their shoes? That's what Velcro and slip-ons are for, right? I want a smart kid. I want two smart kids. And I hope that this'll do it. It'd better.

Monkey, last month, thanks to cousin C, started reading. And he's good at it. Really good. I think he could have been reading months ago if I'd pushed him. He can read a whole page straight through, with no help in the new Read-by-myself Bible I got him. It's freaking amazing. My son can read! And Mel, well, I woke up to her counting to 30 the other morning. I laid there in bed listening to her counting in my ear at 5am, before the sun even popped its head over the mountain. I dare not say a word, if she'd known I was listening she would have gone from 12 and skipped to 27 in a second. Stubborn little brat. And she can recognize her alphabet and numbers now as well as colors, and can spell her name as well as Daddy's name and recognize Monkey's. She's even taken to showering by herself. Every morning, she wakes up and asks me if she can shower and get dressed. Of course, I'd rather she wait until after she eats breakfast so I don't have to change her clothes afterwards. They're both getting to be such big little people.

No comments: